Nov 10, 2009

flat breakfast

After several days of corn flakes and powdered milk for breakfast, I decide that this morning I would go see what the commoners are eating near where I'm staying. We've been eating out at the local restaurants for lunch and dinner, but no breakfast. This morning it is muddy, following last nights deluge.

About an equivalent to two blocks from where we are staying I find a lady selling deep fat fried little doughnut balls. After negotiating through the language barrier, I thought I was able to communicate I want 5, but as the bag was suddenly overflowing, I realized she thought I said 5 Sudanese pounds ($2) worth. I made her stop filling the bag and paid 2 pounds for the bag.


A little further down the road I see a guy pushing a wheel barrow full of flat bread - so I follow him to see where he is delivering it. He stops under a tree, near another lady who has set up her flat bread selling location. I ask for 1 pound worth of flat bread. So there you have it a breakfast high in bread. I still desperately need to find some fresh produce...so far the only green dish I've come across is at an Ethiopian restaurant - the dish is called gomez or something like that.


The next task is to find or make a frying pan and scramble some eggs.

No comments: